Our Midrange Paladin deck guide features the best deck list for Season 37, with Mulligan advice, strategy tips, card combos and synergies.
Midrange Paladin is a Hearthstone deck that's always been around in one form or another, but has become significantly more powerful since it received an injection of Murloc power in the Un'Goro expansion. It's now highly flexible in terms of how it can deal with specific opponent types such as aggro or control, and as such it's a deck that's easy to get started with, but very satisfying to truly master.
In our guide to this returning archetype, we've got one of the strongest deck lists you can use right now, along with an outline of how the deck actually plays out. After that we'll explain how to pick a solid starting hand, before we finish it all up with a breakdown of all the combos you have to play with. Mix all this together and you should be left feeling pretty confident about taking this deck out for a spin in the live game.
We'll be updating this guide a great deal over time, so do let us know in the comments if you're struggling with anything and we'll cover it off as as priority. In the meantime, don't forget to let us know about any alternative deck lists you're finding more success with.
BREAKING NEWS! - Don't miss our round-up of the best Journey to Un'Goro decks that are busting their way into the new metagame!
Midrange Paladin deck list and strategy - April 2017
We're big fans of StrifeCro, and we think his Midrange Paladin deck list is the best one to pilot at this stage of the Un'Goro metagame.
|2 x Vilefin Inquisitor||1 x Golakka Crawler|
|2 x Equality||2 x Rockpool Hunter|
|2 x Hydrologist||2 x Murloc Warleader|
|2 x Aldor Peacekeeper||2 x Stonehill Defender|
|2 x Consecration||2 x Gentle Megasaur|
|2 x Truesilver Champion||1 x The Curator|
|1 x Ivory Knight|
|2 x Spikeridged Steed|
|1 x Sunkeeper Tarim|
|1 x Vinecleaver|
|1 x Lay on Hands|
|1 x Ragnaros, Lightlord|
|1 x Tirion Fordring|
This is a very flexible deck and so you have to adapt your playstyle somewhat to deal with different types of opponent.
When you're playing off against aggressive opponents, you really need to stop their board from spiralling out of control. Although you want to extract as much value as you can from your Murloc synergies, it's sometimes necessary to simply play out onto the board whatever you're able to with your current Mana.
When boosting your Murlocs with Gentle Megasaur, look for a stat that either provides extra survivability or provides a wall of taunts. From here, you should be able to use all your taunts and your heavy late-game minions to lock your opponent out of the game.
Against slower decks you need to take a more aggressive stance, and look to field a host of Murlocs out into play. Through buffing and adapting these minions with Gentle Megasaur, you want to apply as much pressure onto your opponent as you can, and simply try to finish the match before they can take charge.
For more details on how these different approaches actually play out, check the Mulligan and combo sections in the rest of this guide.
Midrange Paladin Mulligan guide - April 2017
It's important to curve out cleanly with this deck, and make plays that exhaust your Mana availability on each of the first few turns.
The following cards will prove useful in all match-ups: Vilefin Inquisitor, Golakka CrawlerHydrologist, Rockpool Hunter, Murloc Warleader and Stonehill Defender.
When we next update our Midrange Paladin guide, we'll include tips for which cards you should keep against specific heroes. The metagame is settling down, but it's still too early to call things definitively.
(Note that Golakka Crawler has particular power against heroes who lean on Pirates in the current meta. Think of characters like Rogue and Warrior in particular here.)
More great Paladin guides:
- 1. Quest Paladin - Quest Buff Paladin deck list guide (The Last Kaleidosaur)
- 2. Aggro Paladin - Aggro Paladin deck list guide
- 3. Control Paladin - Control Paladin deck list guide
- 4. Midrange Paladin - Midrange Paladin deck list guide
- 5. Murloc Paladin - Murloc Paladin deck list guide
- 6. Quest decks - Hearthstone: Un'Goro Quest decks
- 7. Un'Goro decks - Hearthstone: Un'Goro decks
- 8. Tier list - Hearthstone: Deck Tier List (Standard) - April 2017 (Season 37)
Midrange Paladin tips, combos and synergies - April 2017
Here's a complete teardown of all the big combos available with this version of Midrange Paladin. These should give you a deeper understanding of the winnin strategy required here:
- Equality followed up by Consecration is your classic board-clear in Midrange Paaldin, and you should always seek to achieve maximum value from this insane wipe. Sometimes it's worth taking a little extra damage in the short-term, just to get the opponent to broaden their board presence even further!
- Every Murloc class of minion that's on the board will gain bonus stats for as long as Murloc Warleader is out in play. Note that if the Warleader dies, those extra stats vanish - it's not a permanent effect.
- Rockpool Hunter is a particularly strong early-game follow-up to any minor Murloc minion you manage to get out on the board first.
- Got one or more Murlocs or Beasts left in your deck (rather than your hand)? If so, The Curator will add one of each type into your hand when he's played onto the board. If there are lots to choose from, the selection is random.
- Not a raw combo as such, but if you can tuck Ragnaros, Lightlord behind a minion with Taunt, you will greatly magnify the problem this minion represents for your opponent.
- Having established a solid body of Murloc minions on the board, you can use Gentle Megasaur to put every one of them through the Adapt process. Once initiated, this lets you choose to mass-apply one of three buffs that are themselves drawn from a pool of ten possible boosts. Here's all of them:
|Crackling Shield||Divine Shield|
|Flaming Claws||+3 Attack|
|Liquid Membrane||Can't be targeted by spells or Hero Powers|
|Living Spores||Deathrattle: Summon two 1/1 Plants|
|Rocky Carapace||+3 Health|
|Shrouding Mist||Stealth until your next turn|
|Volcanic Might||+1 / +1 stats|