Menagerie Druid is a Hearthstone deck which takes the best of all possible worlds to build a fighting force composed of Dragon, Beast and Murloc synergies. It's not exactly a top-tier deck right now, but neither is it strictly a gimmick affair - and it can also be a nice option for polishing off several very different Daily Quests!
The good news for those of you coming back after a break is that you only need one card from the latest Gadgetzan set too: Finja, the Flying Star. Now, that card is admittedly a Legendary, but if you've been building up a decent collection of cards over Hearthstone's lifetime, you should be able to jump in without too much expense.
In the next of our Gadgetzan deck guides, we're going to outline a solid deck list for this archetype, then follow up with some basic advice on how to actually play it. To make sure you get off to a good start, we've also got some Mulligan tips, before we finish up by outlining all of the combos that give the deck its power.
If you've got any questions or tips to share, do let us know in the comments!
Editor's note: March 2017 Update: Menagerie Druid has been a pretty stable archetype for some time now, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to learn that our preferred deck list hasn't change at all since the last time we updated this guide! It's a bit of a mid-tier deck right now, but a lot of fun to play.
BREAKING NEWS! - Don't miss our Journey to Un'Goro guide, which contains everything we know about the next expansion for Hearthstone!
Menagerie Druid (Standard) deck list and strategy - March 2017
This is a pretty standard deck list for Menagerie Druid. Give it a go and let us know how you're getting on with it in the comments!
|2 x Innervate||1 x Sir Finley Mrrgglton|
|2 x Enchanted Raven||2 x Bluegill Warrior|
|2 x Living Roots||2 x Faerie Dragon|
|2 x Druid of the Saber||2 x Murloc Warleader|
|2 x Mark of Y'Shaarj||2 x Zoobot|
|1 x Savage Roar||2 x Azure Drake|
|2 x Savage Combatant||1 x Finja, the Flying Star|
|2 x Swipe||1 x The Curator|
|2 x Druid of the Claw|
This is a more aggressive sort of tempo deck and it's vital that you get off to a fast start by whatever means you can. In general, you should be trying to push as much damage as possible into the opponent's health pool, and place less emphasis on controlling the board.
As with all decks of this kind, it's important to understand how close you are to delivering lethal damage. If you're getting close, ignore the board, focus on finishing things off fast, and try not to worry about what the opponent might do to scupper your plans.
For a better idea of how to approach victory, take a look at the synergy round-up which you'll find further on down the page.
More great Druid guides:
- The best Standard decks in Hearthstone - March 2017
- The best Wild decks in Hearthstone - March 2017
- Hearthstone: Deck Tier List - March 2017
- Hearthstone: Druid decks - Standard, Wild and Budget
- Beast Druid (Standard) deck list and guide
- C'Thun Druid (Standard) deck list and guide
- Jade Druid (Standard) deck list and guide
- Malygos Druid (Standard) deck list and guide
- Menagerie Druid (Standard) deck list and guide
- Ramp Druid (Standard) deck list and guide
Menagerie Druid (Standard) Mulligan guide - March 2017
You want to curve out neatly into any of the following cards: Living Roots, Enchanted Raven, Druid of the Saber and Faerie Dragon. Innervate is a must-keep card too, and may well influence whether you choose to hold onto a meatier card or not.
Menagerie Druid (Standard) combos and synergies - March 2017
Here are the most important synergies at your disposal when playing with Menagerie Druid!
- Each time that Finja, the Flying Star takes out an enemy minion, two Murloc minions from your deck will be added to the board.
- Murloc Warleader's stat aura is applied to every other Murloc on the board for as long as the Warleader remains active. It is not a permanent buff.
- Azure Drake increase the damage output of all your damage-dealing spells.
- If a minion is designated as a Beast, you'll gain an extra card from your hand when you boost it with Mark of Y'Shaarj. If it's not a Beast then you can still apply the spell but you won't get the bonus card.
- Zoobot interacts with many other cards, but can prove particularly powerful if the Battlecry effect manages to tap Finja, the Flying Star.
- The Curator will take a randomly selected Dragon, Beast and Murloc from your deck and put them into your hand - assuming you have these sorts of cards left in your deck, of course. Note that you can get a partial draw if you've run out of any of these card categories.
- Savage Roar can - and almost certainly should - be used for a big finish. Always use the downtime you get to check and double-check the amount of damage you have at your disposal over the next turn or two - you may be closer to the finishing line than you think!